Monday, August 17, 2026

Inauspicious Beginnings

21 July 2026 – I’ve been planning this trip for a while, but neglected to book the train ticket from Bellingham, WA, to Vancouver, BC (Canada).  My flight was scheduled to leave in the afternoon on 22 July, and by the time I went to book the train the time I needed was sold out.  There are only two passenger trains each day in and out of Bellingham.  The later train would not arrive in time for my flight.  Oh well, that meant an afternoon/evening in Vancouver.  I found what looked like an interesting hotel for one night, and all was set.

Hopped on the train, arrived in Vancouver a little late, but no problem.  Found a taxi to my hotel, settled into my room, went to the Chinese restaurant downstairs – again, no problems.  Had dinner later that night, again in the Chinese restaurant – it was a decidedly authentic Chinese restaurant, with some menu items that most North Americans never see (and I personally am fine with that).  Really, I don’t know what was worse, innards or blood or feet.  Not my foods, anyway.

As I was readying for bed about midnight, I thought I’d check for last minute emails.  (Bad idea.)  I’ve learned to build in an extra day or two at the beginning and end of trips because something inevitably goes wrong.  And there it was, in my inbox, an email from the airline – my flight was cancelled.  I was rerouted from Vancouver to Montreal to Rome, but would arrive a day late.  Phone numbers to call, but no email nor way to talk to an agent via text.

Turned out the toll-free number didn’t work on my US phone – I suspect it may be a Canada only toll-free number.  I couldn’t call England on my phone.  This was a British Air flight, though it was a code share with American Airlines.  So I called American, and spent nearly an hour on the phone with an agent.  (Huge sigh of weariness, not relief.)

I managed to get rebooked – Vancouver to O’Hare Chicago, onward to Rome.  But the first flight would leave at 11:59 PM the night I was scheduled to fly, seven hours later than my original flight – and then I’d have a 12 hour layover before the flight to Rome.  That was the best she could do, and she booked me into decent seats.

Emotionally exhausted, I fell asleep.

 

22 to 23 July 2026 – Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – I had to check out of my hotel by 11 AM, so what else could I do but head to the airport.  Yes, that meant 12 hours hanging around Vancouver International.  Plus I couldn’t check my luggage until something like 6 PM for that almost-midnight flight.  So I had to stay in the front waiting area for about six hours. 

The agent at American did try to get food vouchers for me, but since it was a British Airways flight that was disrupted (even though it was a code share flight), her machine wouldn’t print food vouchers.  And of course, British Air wouldn’t print food vouchers because I was rebooked on American, even though it was their original flight that they cancelled.  Catch 22 all around.

On the other hand, it could have been worse.  I met two people from Bermuda who had travelled to Vancouver for a cruise to Alaska, then some travel in British Columbia.  They were due to fly out on the previous Saturday, and this was now Wednesday – their flight and rebooked flights kept being cancelled!  So yes, it could have been worse.

My flight from Vancouver to Chicago was fine.  I still had a 12 hour layover in Chicago, but at least they had an American Airlines lounge where I could hang out, get a bite or a hot drink.  Actually, they had a really wonderful Earl Grey tea, so I enjoyed that immensely.  Chatted with Richard on the phone, played on my iPad, and napped a bit. 

And wonder of wonders, my flight to Rome left on time, landed on time, and ecco fatto, there I was in Roma!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment