Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Pandemic Diaries - Mediterranean Cruise - Valencia, Spain

4 November 2022 – Valencia, Spain

 

I had a rather typical adventure in Valencia, Spain.  Or at least typical for me, not necessarily for most tourists.

 

I missed our first stop in Spain yesterday, the town of Palma on the island of Mallorca.  I was feeling rather blah, so I chose to stay on the ship and take things easy.  I wanted to visit the Joan Miro Museum, but that was some 5 km (3 miles) from the place where the shuttle bus dropped people off, so that would be another schlep.  It just didn’t seem worth it, especially with feeling not great.  So taking a day off made sense.

 

But today, I felt much better, so a day in Valencia!  Richard and I had spent a few days in Valencia years ago, and enjoyed the city.  I was looking forward to spending more time exploring.

 

I took the shuttle bus to town, free map in hand so I’d know where to find the shuttle bus back to the ship.  And hopefully be able to navigate my way around this huge and beautiful city.

 

Our shuttle dropped us by the Serranos Bridge, built in the 16th century.  I took a few photos of the area because the buildings were interesting, the manhole covers had the city’s emblem, and the street lights were ornate and unique.

 

And then my camera died.  Battery dead.  NOOOooooo!!!!!  Grrrrr!!!  Between this amazing 500 year old bridge and the huge castle with towers that comprised the gate to the old city, I decided I really needed a new battery for my camera.  How could I possibly walk all around a gorgeous city and not take photos to share with our faithful readers?


That became my mission for the day.  I went into a souvenir shop, and they had mobile phone batteries, normal AA and AAA batteries, but not the flat battery that my Olympus camera needs.  Oh well.  I stopped for a café con leche, used the restroom, and walked onward along the pedestrian street, hoping against hope that I’d find the battery I needed.

 

One shop looked promising, but didn’t have the battery I needed.  However, the shop clerk gave me directions, and even drew a small map.  It seemed easy enough to get to the store he recommended, Media Mart, on Calle Colón.  Left, right, left, right, turning each time I came to a plaza.  Directions easy enough to remember.

 

I passed the cathedral, covered with incredible sculptures and marble embellishments.  I marveled at huge carved wooden doors in styles ranging from Baroque to Eastlake (late Victorian).  I walked through the Plaza de Cathedrale.  Then the Plaza de la Reina (Plaza of the Queen).  I think I walked through the Plaza de España, but I’m not sure.  Because while the left and right turns made sense, there were numerous roads off each plaza.  And some angled in vague left or right directions.  So my initial set of directions (given in Spanish) became less easy, and less direct.

 

But I’m stubborn, and I periodically have a quest like this, where I wander all over an unknown city in search of something I need.  Since I had no plan for the day, wandering around Valencia looking for a camera battery wasn’t a problem at all.  It was sunny, I was feeling good, people were friendly, my Spanish was getting me around, I was fine with walking.

 

I passed a Starbucks, surprisingly.  I passed a Valor Chocolateria, and didn’t go in, which is even more surprising.  Seriously, we’ve visited their chocolaterias before – amazing churros in chocolate so thick the churros strand up!  Or ice cream smothered in chocolate sauce.  They have some other food items, but I’ve only had chocolate there.  So for me to not stop in was a major feat.  But I was on a mission, so I persevered.  Besides, I figured I’d most likely walk back along this route, and the chocolateria could be my reward – as well as my landmark.

 

I continued to stop in shops along my way, asking if they had a battery like this one in my hand.  No, but I was sent to either El Corte Inglese (The English Court), or Media Mart.  Both were on Calle Colón. 

 

Now, I need to add here that my Spanish is limited.  I can ask directions.  I understand numbers, left, right.  But El Corte Inglese sounded as if I was being sent to someone who spoke English.  It took me about 45 minutes of walking to find the huge department store and realize exactly what it was, a store and not a helpful person!

 

Of course, it turned out to be a clothing store, not a department store with an electronics department.  Even though the info sign at the front entrance said clearly that electronics were on the 1st floor (one floor up from the ground floor).  I did go up, and looked around, and asked a helpful saleslady.  She said no, the store is only clothing, go to Media Mart.  And that El Corte Inglese is on Calle Colón.

 

That was promising!  Of course, when I went out the way I had come in, I wasn’t on Calle Colón, that would be too simple.  I was on some other street.  No Colón in sight. 

 

So I went back in the store, and asked another friendly saleswoman.  She pointed the way to a different exit that would take me to Calle Colón.

 

Aha!  That worked, there I was on the street I needed!  Of course, Media Mart was nowhere in sight, and everything seemed to be more clothing stores.  I walked down about four or five blocks, to where a diagonal street crossed what seemed to be the end of Calle Colón – oh no!!!  How could I miss this store that was to be my savior for the day?

 

I walked back a few buildings, and went into a store.  I asked if the woman knew where I could find Media Mart.  She said it was right across the street, opposito.  I didn’t see it.  She took me to the window, and pointed.  I still didn’t see it.  But I thanked her, and walked out – and after a few steps, and peering around a very full tree on the other side of the street, I could see it – Media Markt!  YAY!

 

Crossed the street, went in, found a saleswoman and showed her my battery, asking if they had a battery like this.  She sent me upstairs to “el fotografio.”  I couldn’t find any signs for photographic supplies, everything was either mobile phones or video items, so I found a cashier and waited until he finished helping another customer.  When he turned to me, I asked about the battery, showing him what I needed.  No, he didn’t have them.  The store might.  And then his Spanish was beyond my capabilities, so I asked if he spoke English.  Yes, he did!  Sigh of relief!  He told me they might have them at the photo developing counter downstairs, and that I should say he, Pedro, said they should sell me one battery.  That sounded hopeful!  I thanked Pedro profusely, and went back downstairs.

 

You can see where this is all heading, right?  I found the counter.  Waited in line.  Talked to the salesclerk, who switched to English for me.  No, they don’t have these batteries.  They only have cell phone batteries.  Of course, right?  The man apologized for not having my battery, and said perhaps I could buy one online.  I told him I have another one on the cruise ship, and that I probably can recharge this one. 

 

But all of that explains why I have very few photos of Valencia.  And the few photos are pretty much of three subjects.

 

I did, however, get in a good long walk.  At that point, I had about 3.5 miles, over 5 km.  It was about 1:30 PM, I was hungry, and I wasn’t sure where I was.  So, having grown up visiting New York City, I found the taxi stand across the street, hailed a taxi, and asked him to take me to Puente Serranos (Serranos Bridge), near the tower.  Turns out I was very near Valencia’s bull ring – I have no idea if this is still used as a bull ring, I know many towns and nations have banned this rather barbaric sport.  But it looked like a giant modern version of Rome’s Colosseum, and it’s on my map right near Calle Colón.

 

My taxi ride was barely 5 Euros, a bargain in any city!  I thanked my driver and hopped out, walked back across the bridge, and found my shuttle back to the ship.

 

That was my day in Valencia – rather like the Crusade for the Holy Grail, it ended in not accomplishing the Quest of the Day.  But it did take me all over central Valencia.  My Spanish got me by, and helped me chat with quite a few people.  I saw all kinds of gorgeous buildings and architectural details.  And I spent very little money.  Plus I met an interesting retired teacher on the bus, and we had a great chat on our way back to the ship.

 

So in my estimation, it was a successful day.  My camera is charging, although with my spare battery in it – the original battery of the day didn’t seem to want to even try charging.  I’ll just need to remember to recharge the camera every evening, so I have a full strong battery before each port visit.

 

And I hope tomorrow, in Barcelona, to possibly find a spare!

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my! What an adventure! Loved every twist and turn. My goodness, you can "get by" in Italian, French, and Spanish! I doubt I could do as well... my non-English languages are so rusty. "Use it or lose it", as they say. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point, I realized that Italian, French, and Spanish had a lot of words that were the same but with different endings - so I learned what ending was for which language, and I just kind of stick on an A or O or I, depending on where I am! Seriously, it's kind of like learning to add "-ed" or "-ing" except on nouns, not verbs. Once I realized that, i learned how to fake it in all three languages, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You covered a lot of ground in quest for that battery which you didn’t end up finding! Sheesh!

    Hope you’re feeling better!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete