Monday, December 12, 2022

Pandemic Diaries - Mediterranean Cruise - Naples & Rome, and how I missed them both

28 October 2022 – Naples, Italy – Visit to Ancient Herculaneum

 

Note:  the photos are from previous trips to Italy, and really don't relate to this post.  I just don't like blogs that are all narrative.   So, just enjoy the photos.

 

Well, I had to cancel my excursion to ancient Herculaneum, much as I was looking forward to this trip.  I’ve always been interested in archaeology, and that was my career goal at age 5.  Really, my plan was to dig up pyramids in Egypt and fly home to cook dinner each night.

 

But that plan wasn’t realistic, and it turned out my visit to Herculaneum today is not realistic.  I woke up at 4 AM with a raging sore throat and splitting headache.  Uh oh, could be a cold, could be Covid.  I got out my mini first aid kit and took my temperature, as well as used the pulse oximeter just to see.  Having asthma means I’m more conscious of my oxygen levels than I used to be.  Both were just fine, but I did not feel well at all.

 

So at 7 AM, feeling just as bad, instead of getting up to get ready for another day exploring an archaeological site, I called guest services and explained the situation.  They cancelled my tour for today, as well as for tomorrow morning (an all day walking and boating tour of Rome, ancient through Renaissance).  Then, guest services also contacted the medical office, because protocols have changed and any possible Covid case has to be tested. 

 

Someone from the medical office came to test me for Covid, and the office called back to say it was negative.  They do want me to isolate, however, and offered to move me to another room for 24 hours.  Richard and I discussed this, and for a variety of reasons we decided against that.  I’ll isolate in our stateroom, get meals via room service, read my kindle, play on the computer, maybe paint, and watch movies on our TV.  He’ll go and come as usual.  It seemed like the best compromise.  (They’re using half a deck of the verandah suites as isolation rooms, so that people can still get fresh air.  But the only way we could use one together would be if Richard isolated with me, and he’s just not happy about that.  So I’ll just isolate myself.)

 

We know the protocol, since I’ve gotten sick on several cruises.  Just all those extra germs in a closer-than-normal environment.  Knowing that I tend to catch whatever is around, I’ve been wearing my masks when I’m not in our cabin or not outdoors.  But at meals, the mask is off, even when sharing a table with new friends.  Oh well, as long as it’s just a cold, I’m not concerned.  Maybe a little bored, but not concerned.

 

I’ll be retested tomorrow, the room staff will wear masks around me (and likely do extra disinfecting), and hopefully I’ll feel better in a day or two.

 

Such an exciting life, right?

 

29 October 2022 – Civitavecchia (port outside Rome)

 

Well, the medical person called this morning about 7:30 to come by and give me another Covid test.  I told him I’m feeling much better, the decongestant is doing its job.  But their protocol is to test, so test he did.  Negative, of course.

 

So I am cleared to move about the ship, and even get off the ship and walk around the dock or go in to the city.

 

I’ve been to Civitavecchia (pronounced chee-vee-tah-VEH-kee-ah) before, to visit Ostia Antica, the ancient sea port.  (It’s full of wonderful black and white stone mosaics, if any readers want to go there!)

 

I’ve also spent five days or so in Rome, so I think I’ll just stay on the ship, rather than get around lots more people.  Just easier, safer, and I’m still not at my best.

 

But I’m a bit sad to miss my excursion around Rome.  We were going to visit the ancient sites like the Colosseum and the Forum and all, as well as major Renaissance sites like Piazza Navone with its amazing fountain.  Since I’m not feeling great, it’s okay, I can find plenty to do onboard.  But I was especially looking forward to the boat ride on the Tiber River, slowly drifting around Rome.  It just sounded like a lovely way to tour.

 

However, I’m on a cruise ship already, and I have blogs to write, photos to edit, and also movies on demand on our TV.  Plus my photo safari of the ship to finish.  I won’t get bored.  And I need to recharge my Luci lights – I have them sitting at the base of a huge picture window in the Lido buffet area, as I sip tea and work on blogs.  Richard and I are using these lights as memorial candles for yahrzeits, the anniversary of the death of a family member or close friend.  So I turned on a Luci light last night for my cousin; tonight is the yahrzeit for Richard’s mother, and Monday is that of his father.  I’ll be recharging these Luci lights all weekend.

 

I need to add a funny anecdote about that excursion, however.  I booked it in April or May, when I booked the cruise.  A few months later, I received an email from the cruise line telling me there was a change in the itinerary of this excursion, and there would NOT be the included stop at a gelato stand.  Instead, we would have additional time for lunch on our own, and shopping.  All I could think was, hey, this is ROME, there’s a gelato stand on every block!!!  Everyone can certainly manage a cup or cone of gelato on their own!  (But, knowing human nature, they had to notify everyone ahead of time so there wouldn’t be lawsuits alleging customers were lied to, or something like that.)

 

Seriously, though, they made it sound like there was no gelato to be had in all of Rome!  Too funny!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is hilarious about the gelato stop! Hope by the time I'm reading this you are feeling so much better, Phebe. "Better safe than sorry" when it comes to our health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH sorry to hear you are ill! Never a fun thing. Glad that your Covid tests are negative.

    Hope that you are able to partake of gelato. So good.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete