Monday, June 15, 2020

Pandemic Diaries Week #13

15 June 2020

There isn't much excitement happening.  Things in NJ are very slowly opening up, although we haven't really joined in or experienced any of the changes.  There's a bit more traffic, partly due to more stores opening, partly due to the influx of people who vacation at the Jersey shore.

But we're still staying in our quarantine bubble, avoiding public places and contact with strangers.  As people over age 60, some of us with medical conditions that may make us more vulnerable, we're trying to avoid getting any coronavirus microbes.  Yes to masks in public!

We had a visit with the niece who lives outside Philadelphia, and her three kids.  They drove over to the shore to play on the beach, but stopped by before and we all sat outside.  Limited contact, lots of conversation, and virtual hugs along with virtual high fives.  It's always fun to see the kids as they change each year, not only growing in height and looking more mature, but more able to participate in conversations, more willing to talk about their lives and interests.  Plus I like kids, so it's always great to have a little time with them. 

Other excitement (such as it is) includes magnolia trees beginning to flower, with those huge exotic blossoms perfuming the air.

J and I took a drive over to Brigantine one afternoon, so I could see it.  This is one of the barrier islands, east and a bit north of here, just north of Atlantic City.  Richard and I were looking at a vacation rental in Brigantine, and I've never been there.  We found some pretty views of one section of beach, fairly empty on a Sunday late afternoon.  I absolutely could see renting a place for a few weeks and just walking the beach half the day.  But, well, we'll see, we have several options and are looking at
possibilities.

And that's it for this week.  No brilliant insights into life in a shutdown, no deep philosophical thoughts about life in a pandemic.  And no physical participation in the protests around the country, no matter how strongly we feel that the protests are justified and necessary.  We're still personally self-isolating and taking precautions to not get sick.

Yeah, a little boring.  I have various art projects, including editing close to 1000 photos for the blog post I'm working on at the moment.  (I promise not to post 1000 photos in one blog.)  Binge watching "Person of Interest," which I never heard of before because it wasn't shown internationally.  Taking walks to get fresh air and some vitamin D, and to just do something.

I'm also adjusting to a new format at our blogging website.  So, there are some odd spaces in this post.  It isn't as easy as the previous format, but I'm sure I'll figure things out.  So please ignore the odd spacing of the photos, and I'll keep working on it.

As I said, very little excitement.

But I wanted to get a blog out there.  And to say "Power to the people!"










No comments:

Post a Comment