Monday, September 9, 2024

The Sister-In-Law Cruise Event - Day 5

28 August 2024 – Day 5 – Sitka          

 

Sitka has changed their cruise ship dock to a bit out of town, so there are now shuttle buses taking passengers in to the downtown area.  Three years ago we just walked off the ship, up a ramp, and there we were – somehow progress doesn’t always make life easier.  Also, our cruise ship recommended we try to catch the shuttle before 9 AM because a much larger ship was arriving at 9, and that would greatly slow down our getting to downtown in time for our excursions. 

 

However, the 15 minute ride did give us a chance to see more of Sitka Island, rather than only downtown.

 

We were dropped off at Centennial Hall, and I realized I was early for my excursion.  I had chatted with two women at the info counter down at the cruise ship dock, and they said I should try the Chocolate Moose shop for their amazing hot chocolate.  They also make chocolates in the shape of moose, and I thought that would be a fun gift for Richard.

 

I followed their directions, as much as I remembered them.  Apparently I didn’t walk quite far enough, because I didn’t see the Chocolate Moose.  I stopped by a bank and asked the person on the line if he knew where this shop was.  The woman at the teller turned around and said oh, they moved – fortunately, the man in line knew the new location.  It turned out to be barely half a block away.  I thanked everyone, and headed back out into the foggy misty rainy day.  Typical Sitka weather from what I heard.

 

Well, the Chocolate Moose was closed early because they had deliveries.  No hot chocolate for me.  But I could see the old Russian church, and I remembered that my destination, Wild Arts Glass Studio, was a bit to the left of that.  I wandered onward. 

 

Somewhere in my wanderings, I realized I had forgotten my camera.  Yes, that “hurry up to catch the shuttle” surprise at 8:30 AM had me rushing around our cabin, and I completely forgot to grab my camera.  So, the photos here are from 2021 – but these are from the glass studio, and the Russian church is still exactly the same.

 

Of course, the studio is no longer there, they moved.  No one was sure where.  Fortunately, Sitka is not a large city (they have roughly 8500 residents), so it was a short walk back to Centennial Hall.  I found the person collecting excursion participants, and we chatted a bit as she waited for the tour guide to show up.  Everyone else was already gathered and waiting, rather than walking around and getting rather wet.  Oh well.

 

Eventually we headed off, visiting a couple of art galleries before moving on to the glass studio.  Our dedicated readers might remember that I participated in this excursion during our 2021 cruise to Alaska.  I had so much fun, I wanted a repeat.  Plus there aren’t very many art-based excursions, so I was happy to have something that is a make-and-take project.  Art teachers tend to be all about the hands-on kinds of activities.

 

I won’t repeat all the technical and scientific information about working with glass.  Instead, here’s a link to the previous blog, if you’re interested.  I found it all fascinating, and the properties of glass plus the chemicals used to color it definitely make it a challenging medium with which to work!  2021 blog:  https://rollingluggagers.blogspot.com/2021/09/pandemic-diaries-year-2-august-part-iv.html?zx=38436f80c5866825

 

But it turns out the second time pulling a cane is easier than the first!  Also, the current directions are to pull a little bit of molten glass down from the crucible, then turn to create the cane, feeling the tension as the glass twists and cools.  Pull a little more, turn some more – or even try turning in the other direction.  Doing the pull and turn, rather than turning while gently pulling, is definitely easier.

 

Three years ago, I had my cane used in fused glass coasters, and they were lovely.  The instructor and head artist could see my vision, and the resulting coasters are cheery and beachy – they’re that pale aqua green sea glass color, lightly frosted, with a red swirl in a paler “glacier blue” cane.

 

Today, I chose a bright red swirl in a clear glass, and that will be inset in cobalt blue for salad or dessert plates.  I didn’t have a specific design in mind, but the instructor/artist understood that I’m fine with asymmetry and maybe a somewhat avante garde style – we’re leaving it as “artist’s choice” for the exact design.

 

Meaning the plates will be mailed to me in the winter, and they will be a complete surprise!

 

Art glass is a splurge, but being able to participate in making at least a part of any of the items is 100% thrilling!!!

 






 

1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh, that glass work is exquisite! Yes, glass blowing is amazing, isn’t it! Such beautiful designs!

    Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos of the glass work and the church! I think DS has a photo of that church from visiting Sitka when he lived in AK.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete